- All bamboo flooring in offices – No petrochemical carpet used.
- Lunch tables made from recycled milk cartons.
- Geothermal heated research greeenhouse.
- 40% of Zoo Med employees carpool or ride their
- bike to work.
- Converted from propane to electric on all our fork lifts
- Converted our shop from T-8 lighting to T-5 HO lighting.
Current Green Product Directive:
- 50% of our product line is made at Zoo Med (Made in U.S.A.)
- Zoo Med recycles over 200 tons of cardboard per year.
- Eliminated styrofoam insert in one of the top product lines.
- Transferred our entire product line from chemical resin (VOC – volatile organic compounds) to plant based resin.
- All of our UPS shipments are going out with the carbon neutral option in order to reduce our carbon footprint.
2011 Green Directive:
- Moved our entire glass terrarium line from China to manufacturing in the U.S.
- This will eliminate 70 forty foot containers in 2011. The equivalent to 200,000 carbon units, 45.5 tons of carbon or taking 114 cars off the road for one year!!!
- All Turtle Docks will be made of soy urethane (eco resin) in 2011.
- All resin products will be made of eco plant based resins in 2011.
New Leaf for the President of Zoo Med:
Gary Bagnall, President and founder of Zoo Med Labs. Inc. has recently received the new Nissan Leaf! This new fully-electric car has zero emissions, Five-Star safety ratings, and comes standard with all the necessities to help reduce Zoo Med’s carbon footprint! Zoo Med’s Green Values are taken serious and we strive to provide our customers with green products produced through green practices. The latest addition to the Zoo Med Fleet continues our Green Tradition!
- Zero tailpipe emissions/Zero Emissions Vehicle (ZEV)
- 100% electric – no gas required
- High response 80kW AC synchronous electric motor
- Range – 100 miles/charge based upon US EPA LA4 City cycle1
- Speeds up to 90 mph
- 5 passengers, 5 doors
- Nissan Connection powered by CARWINGS™2
- Visit Nissan’s website for more information and a listing of availability.
- USARK (United States Association of Reptile Keepers)- Donated over $150,000. Plus hundreds of hours of time to this new organization to protect our right to keep reptiles (Protect your rights to keep reptiles – Join USARK today) www.usark.org
- TSA (Turtle Survival Alliance) – Major corporate sponsor (Prevents turtle extinction through captive propagation) – http://www.turtlesurvival.org/
- Haiti – Zoo Med supports an orphanage in Haiti, and bought them a truck in 2007.
- NPDC (National Resources Defense Council) – President Club Donor 5 years running. http://www.nrdc.org/
- IIF (International Iquana Foundation) – Major corporate sponsor (Works to ensure the survival of iguanas and their habitats) – http://www.iguanafoundation.org/
- Aquarium Societies / Reptile Clubs – We donate over $30,000 in free products per year.
- Rescues / Shelters – We donate thousands of products to animal shelters and rescues to help care for animals.